Windows is the most famous and most common operating system in the world. About 60% of the people have Windows in their machines… But did they install it by themselves? Do they know how to re-install it during an emergency? For most of them, the answer in “No”. But as a computer user, its better to learn how to do these things by your selves without taking the whole PC to a computer repair shop and waste your time and money! Its very, very easy!
- A Windows 7 Installation DVD. If you don’t have one you can get it free (for 90 days) from here : How to get a legal, free version of Windows 7?
1) Setting up the BIOS :
- Login to your BIOS. To do this you have to press DEL or F1 or F2, this may differ according to your own version. When booting up it will show you what key to press, so keep your eyes open!
- Once you login, go to the section which will allow you to change the boot settings, and set CD-ROM or Removable Media as the first boot device.
- After that press F10 to save and exit.
2) Installing Windows :
- After you set up the BIOS, put the Windows 7 DVD into the DVD ROM and re-start the machine.
- When restarting, you will see a screen asking you to “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD” as in the screenshot. Now, press any key!
- After that, Windows will load the files and show the following screen :
- Now, select your Language, Time and Currency Format, the key board layout (if you don’t know about the key board layout, keep it as it is) and click “Next”
- In the next screen, click on “Install Now”
- Now, in the next screen you have to accept the license agreement! Tick on “I accept the license terms” and click “Next”
- Next, you have to select whether you need to install a fresh copy or upgrade an existing OS (if you have vista already installed you can use this to upgrade it to windows 7). In here, we’ll select “Custom (Advanced)” to install a fresh copy.
- Now comes the most important part! Now you have to set-up the partitions.
- Click on “Drive options (Advanced)” as in the image :
- Click on “New” , give a size for the new partition and click “Apply”. Note : In here, if you want you can do with one big partition, or its better to make 2 partitions. Give about 20 to 30 GB (20000 MB to 30000 MB) for the first partition, and give the rest to the other.
- Select the partition you want to install Windows and click on “Format” to format it. Or make a new partition from the free space (as shown above).
- Now, select the partition you want to install Windows and click on “Next”
- Now, sit back and wait till the system gets installed! (During the installation it might re-start several times.).
- After the installation you will see a window as follows :
- In here give your User Name (mostly your name), the Computer Name (any name) and click “Next”.
- Next you have to give a password (if you don’t want to set a password, keep it blank), and a password hint (a password hint is used to remind you the password if you forgets it! Never use the password as the password hint!). After your done, click on “Next”
- Now they will ask you how to install updates. If you know about this, your free to select your own option! But if you don’t know anything, select “Use recommended settings” as in the image :
- Next, select your time zone and click “Next”
- After that select the type of your network. If you don’t have any network connections (not even internet) you won’t see this screen!. If your in your home, and if you trust other computers in the network (or if you don’t have any other computers and have only internet), click on “Home Network”. If your PC is in your Office, click “Office Network”. If you are in any other network, if you don’t trust the other computers, select “Public network”.